Random Ramblings about stuff I see going on in biotech, internet and the stuff I read.

Monday, April 30, 2007

The 10+ year hurdle

As previously mentioned, I have sold my way out of a job. I am, in the course of things, interviewing for positions at the company that is acquiring us and I have a pretty good track record to point at (I mean...you just bought us...that has to be worth something!). I continue to get paid and go to work every day and I will, likely, fingers crossed, in due course, get an interesting job from the acquiror. I equally likely will have to switch cities I live in to do it. My wife is not that psyched about that idea. She, however, likes me moping the around the house being a grumpy pain in the rear even less.

So - I have also started to hit the job circuit in a big way. The core question being - can I find a really cool job that pays me as well as I currently am and that doesn't require me to move. If it does require me to move, will it have a better package than I think I can expect from the folks who bought us?

NO

at least not yet. I have fired up every recruiter I know (a non-small number) and have started spamming my resume to former friends. My LinkedIn network has been activated to find stuff. Things are afoot. Phone interviews have already started. BUT....

10+ years industry experience

is on every job that I am currently interested in. HR people seem stuck on this. I am routing around them, but they are a bit of block on the recruiter path. The recruiters I know well are pushing through this but it is still there. I live in fear of having to do a boring job.

I can't believe I have only been out of graduate school for 6 years. Grrrrrrr....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has linked in worked for you? Let me know I just made an account.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, can you explain this linkedin thing? I just signed up, but it isn't intuitively obvious what I'm supposed to be doing with it. Also, didn't see you in there under our old school, although there's a bunch of our old classmates on there.

Good luck with the job search.....