Random Ramblings about stuff I see going on in biotech, internet and the stuff I read.

Friday, February 10, 2006

To MBA or not to MBA

Another friend is going back to get their MBA. This particular person didn't actually complete their Ph.D. so they are in a little differant boat than I am, but it still gets me thinking. Should I do that?

The finance class I took recently was awesome. Really interesting stuff, but could I take a whole lot of that?

The guy who went back is preaching that the best reason to be there is the connections that you make. He is meeting great people and building a great network. Is that what I need to do? I am building a network as well, but I could see that his network will be with people that I wouldn't normally meet. There is a lot of value in the "discontinuous" network, where you meet up with people that you wouldn't run in to. People in other industries think differently and have differnt worries. Some of it applies to you, some doesn't, but hearing the other stuff is always useful.

So this gets back to the debate I have. Should I do it? I would get one of them Executive MBA's, as there is no way I am going to school for a couple of years. I have done enough "pause" on the career advancement treadmill that I don't want to get off again. Experience at work trumps school work for a lot / most things. You have to get the theory in the classroom, but the practice only comes at work. The Theory is key, as without it you don't have a clue of what is going on at the big picture level, but the day to day experience is huge as well.

I continue to lean heavily toward "NO", but it is a pretty weak lean. Money is always an issue as paying for things can be hard. Time doesn't grow on tree's, and my daughter will only be this age once. Miss it and it's gone. Those are non-trivial things to overcome, never mind the whole concept of having to take a test again. Don't think I could do that.

No comments: