When giving a scientific talk pre-sales (say if you are an application scientist), or if you are in Bus Dev and are pitching a large OEM deal...
- Less is more
- Too much on your slides, and too much information, takes you off message and you don't get where you want to go.
- This idea is one near and dear to my heart, but one that most scientists lose track of.
- Engage the audience
- Specifically, don't start you talk with "Hi my name is...." or "Thank you all for coming" or any of the other stock phrases that people use.
- Starting with a statistic, or a statement of why you are there or something not normal sets you apart.
- That does NOT mean shocking or surprising, but it does mean no "Hi my name is"
In an endorsement of their work, I do highly recommend the company that did it ( http://www.twoconnect.net/index.htm ) 2Connect.