Random Ramblings about stuff I see going on in biotech, internet and the stuff I read.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Google vs MS maps

Google is in color (at least of my house). MS is Black and white.

Google has the 8 yr old housing complex on it. MS doesn't.

Google zooms in further on my house (all the way, vs 1 click up on MS) (And no I don't know wha that means, but it (to my untrained eye) looks better on the google side). I *think* the resolution of the pic is better, but maybe it being in color just fools me.

Google, when given the address of my house, gets the right house. MS puts me at the other end of the block on the other side of the street.

That said, the fact that I can even write the last paragraph with a straight face tells you where things stand today. MS misses by 5 houses (and I can tell that from the picture they show me).... bummer. Even last year I didn't think that would be possible. I was still digging around random NASA web sites to get pictures of the neighborhood I lived in.

Yes, MS is in "beta" etc... disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer. How ofter do I have to go back to see if I like what they are doing? If google isn't broken why will I look around? This makes me wonder about what they are thinking.

Maybe not enough people try these things in the early stages and so they don't worry about people getting set in their ways. Maybe the splash isn't big enough? One can make all the jokes you like about MS not getting things right until the third release, but it seems like with this they should be getting it right faster.

No comments: