Random Ramblings about stuff I see going on in biotech, internet and the stuff I read.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Dapi's continuing interview process

Last post we heard from Dapi in the comments about how her phone interview went, and I will excerpt some of that and comment a bit further below. Short version is that she is doing well....

Good summary of how to spin yourself on the interview. She is responding to my less than glowing summary of the interviewee questions she would ask. I hate doing this, and hate hearing them, and don't put a lot of value in them... Dapi's way of doing this is better written than mine, and I totally agree with it.

I reworded a few of them and asked the interviewer to talk more about the job, dynamics of the company and her history there. From there I asked direct questions which allowed me to highlight what my skills where. I also wanted to know what the personality of the people who i would be working with were.

Basically my weakness was my LACK of industry experience but I think i overcame it by emphasising that I have SKILLS needed for the job anyway. I outlined my presentation skills, the fact that I love to talk and I am a confident speaker...also i did have experience doing some PR work for our research foundation during my PhD years. I tried to push that i can speak to vendors and I made profits from the conferences, getting sponsorship etc...i'm apeople person and I learn fast!

and a question:

One more question- I'm ahh getting married this September and I would like to ask for 2 weeks off...1 because my family are coming from overseas and i havent seen them for 2 years and the other is for us to go on a short honeymoon...is this reasonable?

Yes - this is very reasonable. Raise it to the recruiter as they will position it with the company to get an initial read (this is how on the hireing side I am used to hearing about it). You should expect a YES. If you don't get a YES, do you want to work there? I wouldn't. They may or may not give you paid vacation across that. What I have done with the person I am hireing is put them in the hole on vacation. What I mean by that is that when she wants to take some time off she won't already have enough. I am letting her use what she has, and then she will wrack up negative time. For the following couple of months she will be working that off. Another choice is just to take unpaid time off.

On a side note: Congrats on getting married!

In any case - if they won't work with you on this I would take that as a huge red flag for working there. It gives you a very clear sense of their values and what they think of you.

I'm so excited but scared...I have to buy a suit and get some make up!! ARGHH!

This made my wife laugh in a knowing kind of way. Not having to use makeup is a big plus for being a guy!

What should I do to nail this job interview?

You seem to have this under control. Your first paragraph at the top explaining what you did to the question asking section shows you know what you are doing. Keep doing more of that.


Good Luck.

-*signature*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Yes its Dapi here again! First up thanks for the congrats re the wedding! We're so excited but everything is hectic what with the wedding and job search! But we both agree this is a great opportunity for me!

Secondly, you have no idea how much I appreciate your help!!

Just a quick post today more to come after the interview-

In two posts ago, you stated:

Know as much as you can about the company etc....

Can you define this better? My gut says to understand their product well and the technology behind it because this is what I will be working with....is this correct or should i focus on the company's structure and the whose whose of the company? The website has summaries of the key plays....i am guessing i should have a comment to add to each and every one of them?

For your wife :)-On Friday I'm wearing black pants, matching jacket and a pink blouse with hair tied up! Ahhh dress code in the lab is so much easier, although one does feel suspended in animation forever looking like a grad student!

Thanks for the advice!

Dapi