Random Ramblings about stuff I see going on in biotech, internet and the stuff I read.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

More about salary - PhD dropout

PhD dropout, whom I answered a question for last post, asked what I thought her salary should be in the comments way back.... She says

SO.. I have been checking out career newsletter, job listings, advice boards, etc... and seems like App Scientis jobs go from 50-80k. 80k being = PhD + experience.
but, seems like the 50k range is not exactly for the postition I was interviewing for, because it seems like there is a difference between job responsibilities of App Sci and FIELD App Sci (FAS). FAS'es seem to travel over 50% of the time at least and not really engage in other data mining or paper-writing projects. Sounds like the job I am 'hoping for' is not like the FAS, more like AS, with, as they say, 30% travel not more.
The range with Ph.D. being about what I had guessed in my post on the matter. I haven't seen too much of the less travel version of an FAS. I guess I don't really understand the difference between and FAS that doesn't travel and a lab worker. I don't know how the 30% travel would work out, and would guess that pretty rapidly you get hauled well above that number. Just a guess though.

I would have to have a better understanding of what the job was, and how it created value for the company, to give a guess about how the salary levels line up. At a guess, and based on the n=1 of me and another guy in a similar position, I would say a Ph.D. was worth between $15K-$30K / year. There is a lower limit of what they will pay someone who is in the sales process and travels a lot, so at the lower levels the split will be less. At the higher levels the split will increase until you get to the highest levels where I think it closes up again. the Ph.D. I think really only helps get you more money in the mid levels. You always get a bit more, but it is closer at the top and the bottom.

Someone can probably pull some statistical jujitsu on my head now and show that this is false in some way, but I am starting with a flawed n=1 anyway so I wouldn't hang my hat on this.

SO - long way of me saying I don't really know what you are worth but there is some long rambling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Yes,
Thanks again for your response.

1- the differential of 15-30k between a PhD and a non-PhD applicant seems to me still not worth being stuck in a place I do not like; and as you, said, I probably will not have a speedy graduation if I do something that is forced on myself.

2- I am waiting for them to check my references, after which they said I WILL get an offer letter. They did not tell me ahead of time what my salsary may be.
I think you were absolutely right about suspecting that 30% travel sounds too good for AS. THe other person I interviewed with already stated 25-50%, which leaves me concerned that it will go up over 50 rather fast. :(
I am excited as hell to travel, but I need the travel time to be shorter than the time spent at home, I think... to retain my sanity.

So, what I think is, if the salsary is pretty good, I should not be picky and make the best out of it for some period of time until I can possibly move to a more business-like position (in the same or different biotech company) that will require less travel.

MY QUESTION is, what do you think is the minimum reasonable time I should spend at one job before looking for something new?
and if the time frame that I wil be able to handle is a year or a little less, what kind of jobs can I look at applying to move into the more business sector of biotech?


thank you so much,

PhD dropout

vishnuprasath said...

It's useful information
View salary information for thousands of different companies.
Search for salaries by company, city or profession.
Average Salary